Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Christmas

So the Drudge Report, ummm... reports, that Denny Hastert is laying down the proverbial law and is demanding that the Capitol Holiday tree be renamed the Christmas tree. In other news, Osama Bin Laden is still not dead. Great headline week for Drudge, by the way. About 5 hours late to the party on the Cunningham stuff, when instead he posted a picture of a Chinese guy looking at an x-ray. Break out the siren.

Who the fuck cares about this christmas/holiday duel? Is this what the Speaker of the House of Representatives of the United States should be focusing on, aside of course from high school wrestling highlights and pork products? I hate to use cliches, but aren't we at war? Isn't there a hearing that you could call and then hold a excessively flag draped press conference about or a democratic congressional Vietnam Veteran to insult and equivocate about and then insult again?

Is this really an issue that anyone should be focusing on? Poll 100 people; how many of them care if their Wal Mart greeter, who I'm sure they readily ignore on their way to buy a rifle or censored audio cd, says "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" or "Can you spare any change or some health insurance? I've been locked in here for a few weeks but I'm still considered a part time employee." How many Christians out there who really think the walls of society will fall down if they are not told to have a Merry Christmas?

And I don't want to get started on the other side either. Aside from my overly paranoid Jewish family, I have met no one, that's right, no one, who has ever complained about being told to have a Merry Christmas. Although Pontius Pilate does find it ironic. Now, I know these people are out there, because I read about them on the Drudge Report and watch them get smacked around on Fox News by John Gibson or Bill O'Reilly, who now devote about 20% of their respective programs to interviewing some wacko college professor or town councilman from Southwestern Colorado who is livid because his mailman was wearing a santa hat.

Get over it, guys. Christmas is a federal holiday. I'm not a veteran; I do not get offended if someone wishes me a happy Veteran's day. I don't really date that much; you don't see me running to the nearest television studio when Valentine's Day comes around. I'm Jewish; I think my new year comes randomly whenever the fuck Moses decides and I don't get offended when someone wishes me a Happy New Year in January. Anyway, I think the salient issue is that Christmas in America is not a religious holiday. It's an American holiday that is about spending money, spending time with family, getting the day off, embarrassing yourself, contemplating suicide, and eating ham. I don't see too much religion there. The mainstream aspect of it has zero to do with Jesus Christ. God Bless America. Or not.

It's just so tiring to see these two sides continue to bloviate and clash over something that no one cares about, but I guess that's what happens when there is nothing else going on in the world except a couple wars and genocides, and that's where I lay the blame on these commentators. What gets me most upset with these protectors of the bastion of Christianity is some of them have a lot power. If Bill O'Reilly were to spend a week talking about Darfur, or Burma, or homelessness in the United States, or the health care crisis in the United States, or the Pakistani earthquake, or AIDS in China, or AIDS in the United States, or the fact that the Republican cloakroom is starting to look like Chicago in the 1930's, you don't think he could sway public opinion a bit? Don't say you're looking out for us when you are clearly talking about things that matter only to you, other really Christian conservatives, and wacky groups on the other side. I mean, even Geraldo took his moustache and waded into New Orleans. Do something useful, and by useful, I mean of course, write a blog.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dig it.

1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've been wished a happy Veteran's Day? Really?

1:57 PM  
Blogger benwah22 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:43 PM  
Blogger benwah22 said...

You really do have to admire the Christian right. I mean, nothing says 'tis the season like waging a crusade against all those that call it a "holiday" and not Christmas. Maybe they'll start to care about more salient topics when little Connor blows himself up in his homemade meth lab...right after they wake up from their prescription pill induced haze.

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home