Monday, April 24, 2006

What scares me about Time Magazine


Time Magazine this week unveiled this creepy and frightening cover story on the dangers of incompetent doctors and dangerous hospitals. Finally, an advantage of not having health insurance. Take that, gainfully employed successful contemporaries with generous benefit packages!

I suppose there is some common perception that doctors are supposed to be above reproach; that they are the smartest of society and don't make the kind of mistakes that the rest of us do in our work lives. From my experience growing up with, attending college with, and socializing with future and current medical students throughout my life, I can say that while many of them are more honed than I could ever hope to be, they often exhibit the same kind of stupidity, alcoholism, carelessness, and recklessness that is usually reserved for those who work in finance and pharmaceutical sales. Doctors are simply people who have a better grip on science than the rest of us, have been rigorously tested on those issues throughout their life, and have been able to focus well. They are far from infallible and, from my experience, can drink me under the operating table.

As far as Time Magazine is concerned, I am so tired of the media creating a crisis which they will then headline on a website, nightly news program, or periodical. Anyone remember this?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home