Friday, December 02, 2005

Hindsight is...

I was one of many of my friends who did not choose to go directly to grad school after college. I thought it was the right decision at the time, and in retrospect I still agree. Most of my friends who chose the same path agree as well; they all have varying degrees of success in business, non profit development, education, and in my case, writing paragraphs that three people will read, including, apparently ex-NFL players.

But, there are several problems that I have discovered since I started to consider possibly entertaining the idea of potentially going through the necessary steps of weighing whether or not to conceivably go to law school. Maybe.

First of all, I forgot how to study. It's been over three and a half years since I've had to crack a textbook, and the last couple of semesters of college weren't exactly an intellectual gauntlet. To be honest, the last time I really studied was for Constitutional Law Freshman year. A+, thank you very much.

Secondly, and I'm ashamed to admit this, but I don't really read books anymore, The last book I read was the DaVinci Code, which I read last summer and then promptly reaffirmed my decicion to boycott fiction. The wretched writing in that book deserves its own book, but that would require me re-reading it. The Louvre.

Third, I am poor. Not "Good Times" poor, but poor enough to calculate all monetary expenditures in terms of how many days of food that will cost me. "Ooh, the concert is $15, well I guess that moves up my crash diet from January 20 to January 18." I can't justify owing $150,000 when I won't be working in a legal setting that pays more than $50,000 a year.
I know, everyone says, "I'll just work five years in a corporate firm, pay off my loans, and then I'll go to the nonprofit sector." Yeah right. No way do I have the intestinal fortitude to walk away from that kind of money, so there is no way I'm exposing myself to it. Also, I don't like wearing my collar up.

Fourth, I hate applying for things. Colleges, jobs, sperm donorships. It's just so stressful. Along with my nonexistent attention span, I also have no patience. Waiting two months for your LSAT results, and then three months to hear from your law schools. Shoot me now, God.

However, there are advantages. For example, hundreds of people who graduated college in 2002 when I did are now making boatloads of money and are able to refer to themselves as "attorneys" in an attempt to make the rest of us feel less successful. Hey, wait, go fuck yourselves.





4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

there is no hockey in Oklahoma.

4:25 PM  
Blogger benwah22 said...

in my expert legal opinion, don't go to law school.

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had to write this stuff during finals?!! I'm so depressed now. That's it, I'm leaving the library and going home to watch football on my couch.

2:43 PM  
Blogger EDS said...

Law school sucks... but the money is worth it... Go for it... Applying for sperm donorships suck, might as well be a lawyer.

2:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home