Thursday, June 29, 2006

Musings

- Though tempted, I passed on live blogging the NBA draft because I am not Bill Simmons and did not want to embarrass myself. I will say three things: Nets draft pick/laptop thief Marcus Williams' hobbies include harvesting honey. Sergio Rodriguez, who was picked by Spain, is nicknamed "Spanish Chocolate". And apparently there's a guy named Rolando Balkman in the draft, whose job in the NBA will be to confuse play by play guys.

- With the Middle East on the brink of (another) war, it's good to see the United States Senate is busy focusing on important issues like flag burning. A constitutional amendment (gulp) banning flag burning failed by one vote in the Senate yesterday, creating direct mail pieces for Republicans for the November elections and causing Bill Frist to feign outrage. The bill was defeated by mostly Democrats, who argued that flag desecration was a very rare offense and the bill violated the spirit of the constitution, as well as the general tenets of irony.

- I've been on a bit of a Radiohead kick this week -- where the hell was I when these guys started releasing records? I pride myself on my musical tastes and experience, but I don't think I can ever forgive myself for not listening to these guys in the 90's. It's ok, I still listen to Blonde on Blonde nearly every day, and that was released in 1966. So, I've got time.

- My laziness continues, but I promise some action packed social commentary and scintillating political analysis next week. So get ready for more columns on T commuting and using public bathrooms.

- And finally, in a clear sign that the US Senate has got its priorities in order, Chuck Grassley (R-IA), is suggesting that the government start taxing pimps. Seems like a good solution to the lobbying problem. At any rate, I'm not sure how exactly we would track these pimps and prostitutes, but I've got one man in mind:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home