Tuesday, September 05, 2006

My weariness amazes me

A four day mini vacation in Cape Cod was exactly the right way to end the summer, despite the rainy and windy days on Saturday and Sunday. Highlights included grabbing an interception and snaring a long touchdown pass on the beach. Lowlights include throwing two interceptions, dropping a touchdown that would have ultimately tied the game, and then playing wiffle ball home run derby with two kids and missing my first three swings, prompting the seven year old brat to say, "This is embarrassing." Three pitches later, I nearly took his head off with a well struck ball. All in all, a great weekend.

My friends are the most important thing in my life, as I have mentioned previously in this space. Sometimes I do a less than stellar job of keeping up with them and being a generally good friend, and these times spent away from life and away from work remind me how really important my friends are. When I think about the person that I want to be, a good friend who makes people laugh is pretty much the ideal.

As a side note, I am exhausted. I still haven't figured out how it is exactly three days of not particularly stressful vacation always tires me out, but I'm sure, like most every other person I encounter, that I'll be lagging for a few days.

At any rate, some quick musings:

- Andre Agassi has fully morphed into Howie Mandel. Think about it: they both broke into the public at a young age with crazy hair, and now they're both bald and really weird.

- Am I the only person who is neither surprised or sympathetic about Steve Irwin's death? Yes, it's very sad for his family even if he did attempt to feed his baby to a crocodile a few years back. But what exactly are you expecting with that kind of ego and bravado? One day, one of the animals that you are constantly fucking with is going to get pissed off and eat you. I'm beyond amazed that he lasted this long.

- At our new apartment, my new roommate, whom I had not yet met, immediately ingratiated himself by buying en enormous HDTV flatscreen television and a futon for one of our many living rooms. There is something so uplifting about how much football and a big tv can bond people who have never spoken before.

- I received an email from a work contact about a meeting we're trying to schedule. He wrote a very detailed response about his availability, and then ended it by saying: "I would very much like to get with you."

- Hopefully, my sense of humor will return shortly, but in the meantime: Let's get ready for some football!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home