Sunday, October 08, 2006

But it's getting there

I am nearing the end of my European Vacation with a day and a half in Dublin, which at this moment is cold and dark with looming rain. I slept for about 12 hours last night, recovering from a week of work and Scottish nightlife, which can best be defined as alcoholic. It felt very much like the last several days in college; drink as much can you drink every night because you're leaving at the end of the week, and when are you going to see your classmates (colleagues) again? They are spread all over the world, in offices from Estonia to Shangai to Dusseldorf. So, how do we enjoy each other's company? Drinking. Sounds intuitive enough.

After leaving Glasgow in an Easyjet plane that looked like it was painted by Fisher Price, I had my brief sojourn in Belfast, which involved me walking down two streets, getting directions from a Christian book store, buying a candy bar, and taking a cab to the train station, where I slept for the majority of the two and a half hour train ride to Dublin. The scenery that I did see was pretty amazing, but it felt a lot like watching television; I saw this wonderful water and greenery and knew that I couldn't reach it. With the weather the way it is today, I think I'm pretty much relegated to pubs before I shove off to London tomorrow.

So before my day starts in James Joyce style, I figured I would give an update to my loyal readers who have been wondering about my whereabouts and adventures in Europe. It certainly has been an adventure; I've done some stupid things, I suppose as usual, and all in all have been heavily straddling the line between responsible and completely irresponsible. Last night, I spent about an hour trying to find an American baseball game on television, which was met with disgust and ridicule by the bartenders and bouncers that I came across. It was strange; for one of the first times in my life, I felt alien and alone. Typical American hesitation to adapt, I guess.

In a pub yesterday evening, I noticed something about Guiness that I have never noticed before. It's possible I had not been attentive or maybe the property doesn't transmit itself across the Atlantic Ocean, but as the first pour of the pint settled and the head shrunk, the bottom of the pint glass morphed into a lava lamp, as the beer revolved over top of itself violently. Did it take coming to Ireland to finally see it?

Be home soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home