Monday, October 23, 2006

And two steps back

It took me a while to come up with the words to describe how I felt about the Mets loss to the Cardinals on Thursday night. The feeling at the stadium (up until the 9th inning) was incredible; waving towels, non stop Lets Go Mets chants, and all 55,000 of us were on hand for the greatest catch in baseball history. Sadly, because of the weird angle where are seats were located, I couldn't actually see the catch, but I heard it and felt it and saw two curtain calls for a defensive play, something I have never seen before.

But, one of the Brothers Molina came through in the clutch, hitting a just over the wall home run off Aaron Heilman (and over Endy Chavez), and Carlos Beltran forgot his job is supposed to be to hit baseballs and struck out looking to end the game. The entire sequence took about 20 minutes. Very shocking and yet anticlimactic. I have never felt anything quite like it.

The skies opened up as we left Shea stadium for the 7 train, and the wait to get to the train platform was equally sad and soaked. It was horrible. One of the most depressing scenes I have ever been a part of, with thousands of Mets fans asking the same question, "Why didn't he swing the bat?" We made our way onto the train, and finally back to Manhattan, where I watched Endy Chavez's catch on ESPN for the first, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth times. Quite a catch.

Next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home