Wednesday, November 21, 2007

How low, are you willing to go?

The holidays are a time that often cause depression in a lot of people, myself included. Some people are depressed by where they are in life, some people get fat at Christmas parties, and some people are affected by the growing cold. Personally, I get down because I'm still holding out hope for the return of the POW's from the Great War on Christmas of 2005.

But I don't need any of those things to bring me down; I've got the news. This week, three things caught my attention, all of which made me just that much sadder.



- This post is two days late, but I don't care, it's still worth it. CNN is worthless. The week leads off with a cyclone that kills thousands, the President's top terrorism adviser leaving office and a slew of other horrifying stories, and CNN leads off with the stagehand strike. Give me a fucking break.

- Lyin' Scott McClellan is pitching his book this week, where he finally admits that President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Karl Rove, and Scooter Libby all lied about the Valerie Plame leak investigation and forced him to lie to the press. Let me just take a minute.



Ok, I'm fine.

Hey, Scott? Go fuck yourself.

I pray to God that this doesn't wipe away your conscience, that in 20 years you're awake at night in your three million dollar house, trying to shake the feeling that "Hey, maybe I helped facilitate treason and sustain a war by shielding genuinely immoral men from justice". So I urge all 10 of my readers to destroy every copy of Scott McClellan's book, "No, I'm going to have to lie here, too, Helen". Do not allow him to gain salvation with your money.

- And finally, Mitt Romney made a big stink yesterday in Iowa about Barack Obama admitting in a speech that he experimented with drugs as a teenager. Romney of course committed the much more cardinal sin of experimenting with getting an MBA, but nobody seems to call him on that.



Romney said the President has to be a "role model", and wondered how could Obama tell teens that he used drugs and expect them not to think it was ok to use drugs. Romney also criticized Obama for wearing a diaper and going through puberty.

If this is not the biggest example of how much Mitt Romney is out of the mainstream then I need to watch some more episodes of Big Love. Obama is talking about things he did 30 years before, and not in some grandiose way, either. Like most teenagers who weren't the sons of prominent politicians, and some that were the sons of prominent politicians, Obama grew up and along the way learned how to be a man. He learned that maybe cocaine wasn't a smart thing to do and that smoking weed probably doesn't lead to a good life.

He also learned that radical religion is dangerous to our society, whether it be Muslim, Jewish, or Christian. He learned that you should be consistent in what you say because how can you expect people to believe you otherwise? He learned that women should be allowed to make decisions about their bodies. He learned that gays are no different that anybody else. He learned that health care should be provided, not mandated. Like most people, the journey from 16 to 46 took Barack Obama down a lot of different roads, from California to New York to Chicago to Harvard to Chicago to Washington. Mitt Romney seems to believe there is only one road.

So let's dispense with the eloquence -- Mitt, what the fuck? What about Jesus, didn't he do it too? Didn't he sin? Didn't he talk about sin? Didn't he forgive sin?

Happy Thanksgiving, I'm going home.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said. One question, though...how did you magically gain a new reader a third of the way through the post? Did you grow him?

11:32 PM  
Blogger quint said...

I'm sorry I have no recollection of that, Senator.

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home